Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The problem with writing comedies

Photobucket
While I'm waiting for revision notes on A Fairy Godmother's Guide to Saving Troubled Teens, I'm trying to chip away at my To-Do list. Namely, I'm putting up the mural in my daughter's room that I bought for her at Christmas. (Not last Christmas, the Christmas before--yeah, I've been busy.) I put primer up yesterday and ran out so I had to go to the store and buy more to put up today. The problem was that I splattered some on my clothes yesterday and had to furiously wash it out before it could stain. I used to have some paint pants, but I think I chucked them. (It's obviously been awhile since I did this sort of thing.)

So as I'm coming home from the store I come up with a great idea. I could just paint without my clothes and then I wouldn't have to worry about ruining anything. After all, I'm alone in the house. The kids are at school, I'm not expecting anyone, the shades are down--what could go wrong?

See, that's the problem with being a comedy writer. My mind is full of ideas about things that could go wrong, and go wrong in a big way. Getting locked out of the house is top on that list. The UPS man showing up and needing me to sign for those revision notes is number two. My husband unexpectedly bringing home his boss also ranks high.

I will go find some pants to ruin now.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I found out last summer when I painted the kitchen is that while paint generally washes off pretty easily, primer sticks to your skin. So you might want to add "splotches of primer in undesirable places for 6-10 days despite scrubbing" to your list of what could go wrong. Hehe!

Don said...

I think the fact you even considered painting in the buff as a viable option proves you are more than qualified to write comedy.

Combine someone showing up unexpectedly, an attempt at preserving modesty by strategic application of paint, and the tendency for primer to stick to skin for extended periods of time. That would be a story worth reading.

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

I actually thought about this myself when we were last painting the house a few years ago. Saves washing clothes or having to be careful. Hmm, great minds think alike? ;-)

Hey, any chance you'll be in Provo next week picking up kids from BYU or going to graduation? There's a group of writers going to meet on Wednesday, the 23rd for breakfast (Candace Salima is putting it together). It's going to be fun to meet some new LDS writers! I know you were in Utah just last month, but I figured I ought to write and ask - ya never know!

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Too funny. The minute I read that, I also started thinking of all the things that could go wrong as well. Would definitely make for a funny story.

Asenath said...

I like Don's idea about strategically applying paint to try and fake modesty...

Heather Moore said...

Are you waiting for a dare? LOL!

Melinda said...

The image of all these senarios playing through my mind has offered some great comic relief.

Thanks. I needed it.

Janette Rallison said...

Well, the wall is primed, sized, and waiting for the mural. I am splattered but clothed. My sons are reminding me that I still have to repaint their rooms--so who knows--there may still be naked painting in my future.

Marsha Ward said...

Janette, Janette, Janette!

I needed that hearty and healthy belly laugh. Thanks!

The Golfing Librarian said...

I recently had to have a discussion about ED with my pre-teen daughter thanks to YA novelist friend of ours. However, afterwards I thought to myself "This is just one more reason to Janette's books". But now I find such things as "naked painting" and "strategically place paint" littering your personal life. It's only a matter of time before it included in writing! Me thinks I need to reconsider! ;-)
(The above is purely tongue in cheek)
Seriously though, you do come up with some good ones!

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

Hmm. Makes me wonder who I could catch doing that. I also think I read/heard a story like this once--something about a woman getting caught naked in her garage by a delivery man. I hope that wasn't you. Hehe.

Anonymous said...

Janette, you live.... a very exciting life. But I like reading your blog helps me now interesting stuff does happen. LOL!

Crystal Liechty said...

Oh my gosh! did that really happen? I'm laughing so hard I can barely type right now...

Janette Rallison said...

Not yet, but who knows . . .

Anonymous said...

It's funny how often the things you read in books are the authors exsperiences.

Julie Wright said...

I second Don when he said: I think the fact you even considered painting in the buff as a viable option proves you are more than qualified to write comedy.

You are so awesome Janette! That made me laugh enough to wake my husband up!

Josi said...

Can I dibs this for use in a book? I love it!

Rachelle Christensen said...

Ha, ha I loved this! Looking forward to your next book.