Monday, July 04, 2011

The next manuscript status

I finally finished my next manuscript, Hunters and Hunted. I think this is the only book that has taken me over a year to write. It was my default manuscript—meaning, I wrote on it during those rare times when I was in between revision letters or copy edits from two different publishers. (By the way, I’m now writing for another publisher too. Harper bought Time Riders. More on that in a later blog)

So, while I’ve been waiting for Harper’s revision letter, I finished Hunters and Hunted. This was harder than one might imagine because Hunters and Hunted took a ton of research. My main character spends quite a bit of time in Boston—some of the time being pursued by the antagonist, so I had to plot out a course for her using Google street view. I now love Google street view, as it saved me a trip to Boston. (Oh wait, maybe a trip to Boston would have been fun. Dang!)

I’m a little nervous about how readers will react to Hunters and Hunted . It's quite different from my usual romantic comedies. This book isn’t a comedy at all. In fact, people are killed by flesh-eating scarabs. (More on why I wrote it, later.)

Here are the first reviews:

My mom: “It was great! I read it twice!” (Of course, one must take into account, that she is my mother and loves everything I do. She also told me I was the prettiest girl in my school.)

My husband:” It was good. I liked it.” This as much enthusiasm as he ever musters for any of my books. He generally only reads nonfiction.

Middle Daughter’s review (well, at least the review of the last chapter): “FINALLY one of your characters turned away from a kiss. Usually it’s, ‘I don't want to kiss you but you make me feel wanted!’ mwah mwah mwah.” (Those are kissy sounds.)

I was actually surprised by Middle Daughter’s review. I wanted to say, “My characters aren’t like that.” But then I thought about it. Maybe they are. I’m not going to analyze what this means about me though, because it might mean that as a teenager I kissed far too many boys far too quickly. And I’ll never admit to that.

Now I’m waiting for my agent’s review . . .

20 comments:

Aubrey said...

Oh fun! I think it is great to do something totally different. Can't wait to read it!

BOOTY said...

I'd love to review it for you, Janette... ;-)

~Marie

Anonymous said...

i like many different kinds of books. i can't wait to read this one and all others that you have written.

Lulu (The Bookworm is Here!) said...

Congratulations on finishing :) I'm sure it's as good as your other ones- even though it doesn't have comedy it still will be awesome. You have very good reviewers by the way! I hope in the future I can read it :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

Hahaha! I LOVED your reviews. So awesome to finish!

Shari said...

Can't wait to read it!

Melanie Jacobson said...

All I heard was "Stuffstuffstuffstuff...I GET A NEW JANETTE RALLISON BOOK SOON stuffstuffstuff."

YAY!

Jessie Humphries said...

Is there anyone who doesnt love your books? I dont know any of them if they exist. Can't wait tp reead it.

Janette Rallison said...

Well, all the really smart people with good taste love my books . . .

Anonymous said...

so true. i plan to read all of them. :)

Anonymous said...

- i might read all of them as well. they are all really good books. i love them! -

Eliza said...

Did you say TIME riders? I love your books and I love time travel. Ooh...this sounds good already.

Anonymous said...

I JUST heard of you from a friend. I'm interested in reading your work. It all looks very good and sounds interesting! I'm excited to get reading!!!

Janette Rallison said...

Hope you love it all!

Admiral Lily said...

Oh I think I remember Savannah turning away from a kiss in My Fair Godmother. Remember when she and Tristan were in the room before her sister and Hunter showed up? I'm just saying. :D

Janette Rallison said...

Ah, you are so right! I'm going to point that out to my daughter!

My security word this time is: bughtchr--which is very close to bug hatcher,which is ironic since that actually happens in Hunters and Hunted. Fate. Must be fate.

Barrie said...

Default manuscript?! You are an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

- i think that your books, janette, are the best books iv ever read. though i have to admit, Erin Hunter is pretty good too.

Janette Rallison said...

Something Erin Hunter and I have in common--lots of cats. But I think hers are cooler . . .

Anonymous said...

- i love cats. -